Thursday, May 21, 2009

Winners Walk Tall finale

I know it sounds cheesy and insincere when a volunteer tells you that they get just as much out of the volunteering as the recipients of the service, but today I’m going to be one of those people except I am anything BUT insincere.

Today was my last visit of the school year to the first grade students at Roselawn Condon school as a Character Coach for Winners Walk Tall. http://www.winnerswalktall.org/ I promised the kids a special reward for good behavior this week, and couldn’t wait to deliver on that promise!

A typical WWT lesson involves me revealing a character-building lesson printed on bright paper that I keep in my pink hat. I invite two students up to the front to help me read the lesson to the rest of the class. Examples of lessons we’ve covered include, “Shake Hands with a Firm Grip, Look People in the Eyes and Call Them by Name with a Smile,” or “Manners Matter,” or “Dream Big – the Sky is the Limit,” or my favorite, “Be Kind to Our Environment – Go Green!” We discuss what these things mean and how they apply in everyday life and why they make us winners. As I leave the classroom each week after group hugs, it is usually to chants of, “Miss Kel-LEY… Miss Kel-LEY!” I glow as I walk down the hall…

So today I switched it up a little for our last week and will treasure the day forever. After a quick review of the lessons throughout the year, I proceeded to call each child up to the front to be presented with a certificate of completion, customized with their name and signed by Yours Truly. As I called each name, the other students cheered wildly. The winner of the moment shook my hand (all with a firm grip!) and we posed for a photo. They were so cute about it – this little certificate means a lot to seven-year olds! Many were very shy, but I could see how they enjoyed the attention.

After each winner had received their accolades, I took my hat off to reveal a picture of my cat, Miles, fresh from the kitty salon and shaved down. I showed it to each student, explaining that this is what Miles look like after a hair cut. Then I asked, with a touch of drama, “Anyone want to see what he looks like with his hair grown out?” And the crowd went wild! I brought Miles into the room and gave each child a chance to pet him. 



I hate to think of how many allergic reactions are kicking in now!!! Of course we posed for a group shot before I left.


Anyway, it was a blast to share this special day with these darling children, and Miles was calm, patient and as sweet as ever. I have a feeling today was MUCH more about the volunteer than the recipients of the volunteering!!! 

No comments: